Union membership

      • How do I join the Federation?
        Simply fill out the membership form on the website.
      • How do I know if I am a member of the Federation?
        If your pay stub has an employee deduction called “AFT,” you are a member.
      • Where do my union dues go?
        About 70% of our dues go to the California Federation of Teachers and the American Federation of Teachers. The remaining 30% go to local expenses such as professional services and maintaining our office. Union Officer stipends come from release time paid for by the District (much like Senate or other special assignment release time), not our dues.
      • How do I know if I am a member of the 1388 COPE?
        If your pay stub has an employee deduction called “AFT COPE,” you are a member.

Contracts and Pay

      • Do I have a right to a contract every semester
        Yes.
      • My contract or my pay does not look accurate. What do I do?
        Use the salary schedules and appropriate contract sections to see if there is a problem. You can also contact the Federation.

Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)

      • I am a full-time faculty member. My dean or department SLO coordinator asked me to do SLO work for one or more of my classes, do I need to do them?
        If the SLO workload is reasonable and somewhat equitably distributed, yes.
      • I am a part time-faculty member. My department SLO coordinator (or dean) asked me to do SLO work for one or more of my classes, do I need to do them?
        Not until you are assured by the dean that you will be paid for your labor.
      •