The Federation Executive Board Recommends Changes in Constitution
MEMBERS CAN VOTE ON THIS AMENDMENT FROM FEBRUARY 15 TO FEBRUARY 22–CHECK YOUR EL CAMINO EMAIL FOR YOUR BALLOT. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE A BALLOT AT email@example.com
As many of you know, a couple of years ago the Federation’s Executive Board began a series of steps to build our power and status on campus. We have improved relations with the Academic Senate. We restructured our office and operations. We believe our communication with members is strong, especially with our new website (aft1388.org), new duties for elected officers, and the initiation of division Federation Meet Ups.
As part of these efforts, the Federation’s Executive Board examined our Constitution and By-Laws to see if changes might be made to improve the union (or at least improve some of the antiquated language and roles). After a collaborative process, we identified a number of sections of the Federation’s Constitution and By-Laws that we think are in need of revision. We are thus proposing to the membership a number of changes for consideration. Some of the proposed revisions will improve our union’s structure and organization, some will make the document more clear, and others will eliminate outdated language.
The Executive Board has put together the following timeline:
- Post proposed changes on website and email proposed changes to members today, February 4th. Members will have 7 days to review the proposed changes.
- We will hold a general membership meeting on Thursday, February 11th from 2-3 PM (Zoom link on our Calendar on aft1388.org) to discuss the recommended changes, respond to questions, and consider suggestions. You may alternatively send any feedback that you have to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will then conduct an electronic election February 15-22 on the proposed changes on a straight yes (accept all changes) or no (reject all changes) vote.
Summary of changes in rough order of appearance (see proposed changes marked in red in this document)
- Propose changing the name “the Executive Committee” (the elected union leadership) of the union to “the Executive Board.” This standardization will end general confusion in the document.
- Propose using “The Federation” to refer to the union (aka, 1388, ECCFT) throughout the document. This standardization will end general confusion in the document.
- There are a number of minor edits for clarity. For example, instead of “Part Time” we recommend using “Part Time Faculty.” If you see proposed language changes that are problematic, please let us know.
- Eliminate the following two officer positions as voting members of the Executive Board.
- LA Federation of Labor (county-wide labor organization) Officer. We will continue to send our delegates to the monthly meetings, but the officer position will be eliminated from the Executive Board.
- The Committee on Political Education Chair. In other faculty unions, COPE has its own administration and is usually separate from regular union business. Our COPE will have its own chair. See aft1388.org/cope
- Add the following officers who will be elected by the membership to the Executive Board. Two are new positions.
- Chief Grievance Officer (An existing position, but currently appointed).
- Organizing Chair (new position to lead member and non-member organizing efforts and outreach)
- Communications Chair (new position to lead communications with membership, the administration, and the communities we serve)
- Clarification of officer duties; also updating these duties for the 21st century.
- Adjust the timeframe for officer elections to Spring semester. New officers continue to start on July 1.
- Clarification of committee duties; also updating these duties for the 21st century.
- Add research, PT Faculty, communications and organizing committees as standing committees.
- Eliminate editorial board (PROOF) (our website replaces old newsletter PROOF)
- Clarification of special committees
- Eliminate legislative committee (the COPE will do this work, see https://aft1388.org/cope)
- Add audit committee